PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TOGA Time Limit
Thread: TOGA Time Limit
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2009, 00:01
an3_bolt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
limits

The takeoff limit for the B744 manual I have states the takeoff limits are available for 5 minutes with all engines operating or "10 minutes with a loss of thrust on 1 engine during takeoff" for the CF6 or "10 minutes provided its use is limited to situations where an engine failure occurs" for RB211.

CON limit is exactly that - continuous.

There may be some confusion with the question - as the TOGA refers to the AFDS system which in turn will control the TMC and associated thrust setting. Obviously - TOGA mode and associated thrust settings are used for takeoff and go-around.

My manuals have no specifics regarding a go-around limit with either the 2000 fpm first click of TOGA or the full Toga go-around (second click). The manual simply states that the above mentioned limits are for the "Takeoff condition". Further research reveals that at SL ISA the Full rating takeoff thrust is 108.4%N1 for the CF6 and the go-around thrust limit is 103.8%. In addition the RR211 shows around 1.71 EPR takeoff limit and around 1.69 EPR limit for go-around from the manual.

In a practical sense - even if you apply a 5 minute all engine operating takeoff limit to the go-around thrust setting - that is a climb of around 10,000' with the first TOGA switch depress (most likely much less than full go-around thrust at landing weight in any case). Any missed approaches need a 10,000' climb?

With regards to part of the question -
Full beans is acceptable for take off and for go around, but how long should one operate at mct or less before applying toga thrust again?
- I can find no reference in the manuals for any EGT cooling period or any other restriction - on that one I have no idea..... all I can say in practical experience that it would most probably be an emergency condition that would warrant such action as a GPWS pull up or windshear recovery maneuver - in which case all bets are off. Otherwise normal operations would most probably not see a need to return to takeoff or go-around thrust having completed the takeoff or go-around maneuver.

Hope it helps to answer your question.