PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crosswind 90 degrees. Which Way?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2009, 13:50
Lodown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having experienced an attempted takeoff with a 'strong' crosswind from the left, as the speed builds on takeoff, you'll very quickly find that right rudder is not required and then shortly after you can't put in enough left rudder to stop the drift to the right. (With a nosewheel, it doesn't feel so much that you run out of left rudder; more that the left rudder just doesn't seem to work at all or still has the rudder lock in place, if that makes sense - in my case, I hadn't got to the point where the nosewheel was off the ground yet and it wasn't going to steer left no matter how hard I pushed). The aircraft will just go further to the right as the speed builds and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it without reducing the power/speed. You'll be in one hell of a bind if you continue with the takeoff: aircraft drifting further from the runway direction and getting a stronger tailwind component at the same time. Abort the takeoff (control comes back very quickly when power is cut), go to the other end of the runway, put the wind on your right and it's a straightforward takeoff. Makes you wonder whether you were imagining things with the wind from the left. Reverse the directions for a Tiger Moth.

Ask a cropduster pilot and they'll tell you the same thing.

Having said this, at max demonstrated crosswind, your aircraft should be able to take off safely in either direction.

Last edited by Lodown; 15th Mar 2009 at 15:43.