PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Status of Ryanair Longhaul???
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2009, 11:34
philbky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ten West needs to do some research before posting.

If Ryanair fly out of SNN and DUB where full US Customs and Immigration will be available prior to departure there won't be a problem.

The likes of Rubik101 should consider the following:

I've booked on Ryanair from SNN to MAN in June and paid €0.00 one way for each of two adults and €0.99 each the other way. I have booked one on line check in with priority boarding and one airport check in without priority boarding each way with 1 bag (15kgs). There is a 10kgs hand baggage allowance per person each way.

Total cost for the whole deal was €139.18

I have an alternative of flying from ORK. With a 6kgs hand baggage allowance each and a 20kgs bag allowance (for which, as on Ryanair, there is a charge) the total cost is €134.38 for the whole deal. Not much in it except that Aer Lingus offer seat selection on the one hand but on the other hand SNN is an hour's drive less each way.

The point of the above is that, prior to Ryanair becoming a low fare airline, low fares on Aer Lingus were as rare as hens teeth. On their pages, as you book a low fare flight, they give the details for flexible fares. These allow limited changes, refunds and 20kg baggage for "free". The problem is the cost. For the same two people on the same flight the cost becomes..... wait for it.......are you sitting down?

€968.08

and my contention is, based on nearly 50 years experience as SLF, that without O'Leary, that is indicative of the fare levels Aer Lingus and others would be charging at all times.

I looked the other day at flying from Boston to Halifax, Nova Scotia, in September for a trip I have to take. For two of us flying SNN - BOS on Aer Lingus, we are paying €780 return.

The trip from Boston to Halifax takes about 90 minutes gate to gate so, in Ryanair terms in Europe, a total of €200 for the return trip for two would have been considered reasonable.

Apart from the fact that there are few Boston - Halifax direct services the lowest price return PER PERSON is US$516 on Delta with a transfer in JFK! There are many other flights at prices up to $720 going over LGA, and EWR. The cheapest direct flight is $769 PER PERSON.

Many of these prices have refund/change restrictions.

In addition, AA CO and DL charge $15 for the first bag, $25 for each additional bag per person, with AC the first bag is free, the second is $25.

The current exchange rate is $1.2928 = €1

Now Rubik101 which airlines are in the scamming business? Ryanair?, Aer Lingus?, Air Canada?, American?, Continental?, Delta?.

Some may say Halifax is not a popular destination from Boston but then Hahn was not popular from Kerry or Carcassonne from Shannon until the advent of O'Leary.

Ryanair is a low fare airline. It then charges add ons and if people are too thick to work these out that's their stupidity to blame. Aer Lingus has partially hopped on the low fare bus.

The others mentioned charge high fares, make restrictions AND have baggage charges. If Rubik101 and his friends were honest they would accept that airlines rip people off where ever they can, some far more than others and that, for all his faults and annoying stunts, without O'Leary the European passenger would be paying far more than is necessary.

Last edited by philbky; 15th Mar 2009 at 14:19.