PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Picture scanning sizes-which?
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2009, 09:07
621andy

Location: Either somewhere in the 3rd world, the land of cheese and wine, or possibly very occasionally, at home.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picture scanning sizes-which?

I've just bought a scanner on Ebay, an Espon 3200 I thnk(on the road at the mo!), and have scanned various old and ancient negatives.

The results are on the whole pretty good, bearing in mind the quality of the negs, the quality of camera at the time and my general bad picture taking

However, which size should I scan them at? I basically want to save some on my lappy, and also send some to Air Britain etc.

I've tried different 'sizes' and resolutions, but can't seem to get something that matches AIr Britains max size of 500KB, and 1024x768(I thnik).
Basically, when I save a pic and it comes out as a JPEG at for example 1200kb, when I try and shave maybe 1 pixel off an edge, the pic suddenly shrinks to say 60kb. Help!
I've tried scanning at 300pixels,240, and 96, but nothing seems to match up. The scanner gives various options of size, but do I need to scan each neg twice at two different settings, or can I do the same as I do with a digital pic and just change the dimensions

I'm not explaining this very well, but hopefully someone can understand my ramblings