PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 Cut obstacle clearance.
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2009, 07:52
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in complete agreement with J_T, yes, you can use the normal All Engine SIDs for OEI procedures, but there is a VERY large caveat!

The SIDs are for Gross Performance, and "reverse engineering" can be applied to establish the actual obstacles considered when creating the SID, then you can apply the OEI data. First part of problem solved.

Now comes the big one. If we use the "reverse engineered" SID data for 2nd segment, what is the Minimum Acceleration Altitude (MAA)? Assuming that we are using the SID data, and nothing else, we must assume the highest obstacle to be 1000 feet below the MSA. Last night, I operated to an airport with MSA of 5500 Ft in the Takeoff area, that means the worst obstacle was 4500 Ft. A 4500 Ft highest obstacle, after applying Gross/Net corrections for OEI means a MAA of 6785 Ft, or MSA of 5500 Ft as that is a safe altitude. That is an impossible "ask" for an aircraft with even a 10 minute limitation on Takeoff thrust.

The only alternative is to establish a "OEI break off" point for the SID, so, out come the survey charts, which nobody carries in the cockpit. We're screwed.

I'm guilty of converting a few SIDs to OEI procedures, NOT as a standard procedure, but to cover that insideous situation where an early SID turn followed by an engine failure puts the aircraft in "No Man's Land". If the pilot cannot accept the SID with it's attendant RTOW penalties, then refuse it, and advise ATC of the alternative normal OEISID requirement!

As I've proposed in this and other forums, we DO need "government Issue" OEISIDs at ALL airports, even if conservative for some operators. The right to develop alternative OEISIDs must be preserved as an alternative - more work for you Oz_Expat!

I note that one of the contributors identified "J", it wasn't me your honour, "J" has a far bigger litigation budget than I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE - A common question on these forums is "Can I use the SID following Engine Failure?" Categorically, the answer is NO, unless (except in a few safe cases) the SID is reverse engineered to FAR 25 criteria, and a suitable break-off point established

Regards,

Old Smokey