PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thanks ...
Thread: Thanks ...
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2002, 11:11
Goondiwindi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wizofoz

My final comments on this thread.

1. When you are in a Union and your management does this to you, you'll be glad that IFALPA can instigate this ban for you. I hope that you never need its services.

2. What's wrong with making it 5 and 1/2 years at Kununurra and then taking the job. At least they do have a job. Yes, I am being supported by my Union. But by God I'd trade places with the guys that are paying their dues any day, if for no other reason than pride.

3. Being ostracised is a fact not a threat. I considered joining Ansett in '89 until I realised that it would a) be wrong and b) I would have been ostracised. I knew the score. I made my decision. No threats there, were there? I did not feel threatened.

4. I wish I could give you the info re why I can't get a job and by whom I've been blackbanned. I'm keeping my powder dry. But please accept the fact that I've tried and been not just refused but totally ignored. I do have some leads but to tell you would give away my identity; sorry.

5. I'm sorry if you feel I'm being arrogant and that I'm lecturing. Don't pay me any attention if you think that! I know what I consider right and wrong. You in turn have your own values. I can look at myself in the mirror in the morning and see no hypocrisy, nor reason to feel guilty at my actions. I have a conscience. It is clear. If you can do the same, then that is all well and good. I doubt that the people that broke the ban are so able. If they are, I do not wish to ever know them.

6. I don't think anyone who says "no" now is throwing away their chance. I believe it'll come back. When it does, the company they join will be a much better one than the one they would have joined if the ban had not occurred. I regard their delay as an investment in a better and more secure future. That too is what I am striving for. Don't think for a minute that I would not love to be in a position to support my fellow 49ers. However, I'm not sure that I would feel any compunction to support someone already in a job that is considering becoming a replacemnet worker at my colleagues' expense. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

7. You missed the point about management not liking it. The fact that they don't like the ban means that the tactic is having the desired effect. That does give me a rosy glow even though it's me that's having my house repossessed.

8. Finally, as for Direct Action. If you only knew who I was you'd know that I stood up several times at Union meetings and Focus nights and advocated strike action. I would have put my money where my mouth is. Unfortunately, I got knocked out of the ring in the first round. I'm sorry to keep on about consciences but mine is absolutely clear on this one. I would have gone on strike for this dispute and have paid the ultimate price anyway.

9. I am very conscious of the demands that I ask of others when I request thier assistance in this fight. Believe me, I'd like not to have to ask. One day though I'll repay the favour with interest.