PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Grounded
Thread: Nimrod Grounded
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2009, 01:34
EdSett100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KIT,
I know, as aquaintances, a few of the widows and their families. In monetary terms, there is absolutely no doubt that they have all been robbed of a decent income through the loss of their husbands and fathers. That income loss was undeniably caused by a failure of the MOD to adequately provide that crew (and all other crews who flew on both Mks of Nimrod before 2 Sep 06 who, but for the grace of God, could have been killed) with a safe aircraft. It has been proven to have been a deathtrap.

As it stands, the families are entitled to the standard AFCS/AFPS settlement which is also payable, on exactly the same terms, to any other family whose loved one is simply lost in the course of his/her duty where the MOD is not guilty of negligence. That standard settlement is a pittance in comparison with the amount of expected income that would otherwise have been received by the families of XV230.

I can assure you that all of the families have my unconditional support in seeking a reasonable settlement in compensation for the loss that they have suffered due to the failure of the MOD/RAF/BAe. The MOD is the current owner and operator of the Nimrod and is therefore the respondent in this case. To my knowledge, not one single claimant has said anything about punitive damages. This is a claim for reasonable compensation. Do you have any idea how much income an average pilot can expect to receive in a 36/18 career followed by a civilian flying career and RAF pension?

Might I politely suggest that you review your last message.

Ed Sett