PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Belgian Jetairfly lined up for taxiway landing at CAS
Old 14th Mar 2009, 20:52
dsc810

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At Enstone airfield in the UK I was once circling in a glider at about 800ft just a few 100 yards south of the only operational runway. I watched with amazement as a KC135 tanker aircraft approached from the West to “land” having clearly mistaken Enstone for the nearby US airbase of Upper Heyford - on almost the same orientation and some 10 miles further on. At around 600ft they realised their mistake and climbed away along the runway centreline passing me nearby – I was now on downwind leg to land myself. Did they see me – I doubt it. Not wanting to come in 30 seconds behind a “heavy” and experience wake turbulence big time I modified my circuit and landed on the grass in another part of the airfield.
Quite exactly how one mistakes an unlicensed though admittedly long tarmac runway with no markings, lights, approach aids, radio etc with the facilities of a major US airbase escapes me however local legend has it that another aircraft made the same mistake and actually landed there. They had to strip out every single removable item off the aircraft to make it light enough to be flown off.