PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carry-on liquid limit to be scrapped?
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2009, 18:12
Ten West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bfisk
This is like all other preventive measures in society. There's no one claiming the security checkpoint will be a definite safety barrier. Dangerous people will get through, so will dangerous items, and this will happen regularly, and from time to time.
So... What's the point then? Why inconvenience everyone? The previous set of rules (pre-liquid bomber) seemed perfectly fine for the many years they were in force.

Also remember that airside security does not only have to do with high tech terrorists, it also has to do with psychologically unstable persons, people dealing in affect, and people who mistakenly try to bring dangerous items with them.
No-one's doubting that, but how can security reason that a pilot with a pint of milk is a potential terrorist and should have it confiscated? Or even worse, a psychologically unstable person?? They must know something about milk that I don't!

And oh, by the way: next time you eat your steak airside to prove a point...
Proving a point? Er, not that I was aware of. I just fancied the steak that was on the menu, that was all. I didn't even give the type of knife it would come with a second thought until it turned up.

... notice how the knife's pointy egde is rounded, rather than pointed, unlike what you will find at a lot of other restaurants?
I didn't notice it on the one that I was using. But rounded end or not, I'm sure that should I be so inclined I could do a lot more damage with the freely issued steak knife than I could with a pair of confiscated nail scissors.

BelArgUSA has got it right. A large bottle of spirits, or even duty-free after shave and a source of ignition would really do some damage. You'd even have the added benefit of the broken bottle to use as an excellent weapon. Yet you don't see airports rushing to ban the sale of that little lot as it would cost them too much money in lost revenue.

Cynical? Moi?