PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glider Pilots of PPRuNe
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2009, 17:10
Thoughtful_Flyer

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
That's one of the reasons why I dropped out - I can take anyone up as a passenger in a light aircraft without asking permission but not in a glider despite having a Bronze C and several hundred glider flilghts.

That and the politics and the 'Dad's Army, Captain Mannering, attitude of so many of the officials who saw gliding more as an arena for egos rather than a way to enjoy one of the purest forms of flying. I also feel that some of the petty restrictions do not make for safer flying - the AAIB investigate GA incidents and publish them for others to learn from. The BGA do not.

If I could find a simple, reasonably basic gliding club flying K13s or other tube and fabric glliders, that was for enthusiasts and didn't cost too much then I'd join!

Sadly how right you are!!

I'm amazed there are not more private gliders operated outside of the club scene. Lots of people seem to feel the way we do but it doesn't seem to progress.

It was one of the main reasons why I packed it in. I had (well still have I suppose) a Silver C, and a BI rating

Correct me if I'm out of date but I think there is still no legal requirement for a licence. Providing somebody has the correct paperwork for the fitting of a tow release on their Piper or whatever, there is nothing to stop them towing me in a glider from their farm strip.

Obviously, being sensible, I would want some refresher lessons with a current instructor but how nice it would be to find a setup like this.

Again, does a K13 (say) need a G-XXXX reg these days or is this only gliders newer than a certain date?

Also, what about a C of A.

It would be good........