PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 14th Mar 2009, 16:26
redflight76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, pilots are quick to arm chair quarterback! It is our nature to analyze and evaluate accidents without much information, which is a good thing. Some of us have been there, done that. Some of us have not. However, during a time like this and considering I have been in this business for 33 years, I think first of the loss of life and grieving of the families. The loss of life is more important to me than trying to figure out what happened at this juncture in time. The facts will come out once the investigation commences when the aircraft is recovered. The aircraft systems analyzed, the training and procedures evaluated and the error chain is recreated. I know the S92 and I trust its systems but systems do have limitations. I know how the training is done but training has limitations. I know how CRM works but it has its limitations. You know, an aircraft accident scenario can sometimes be attributed to one factor or to many. Only time will tell what factors added to this one. Pilots do their best, manufacturers work hard to keep systems reliable, trainers try to train to known and what if scenarios. BUT this industry will always have risks and we all accept that. I accept those risks as did everyone on that aircraft! I mourn their loss, I grieve for their families and friends and for their companies and I want answers too but I will wait for the accident investigation results and go forward from there.