PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Carry-on liquid limit to be scrapped?
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2009, 14:28
bfisk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To all those of you who have security all figured out, reasoning that as long as there is metal cutlery airside, the whole song and dance routine might just as well be skipped:

This is like all other preventive measures in society. There's no one claiming the security checkpoint will be a definite safety barrier. Dangerous people will get through, so will dangerous items, and this will happen regularly, and from time to time.

Likewise we have driving regulations, like speed limits and rules that govern the right of way. Still, accidents happen, and even with a goal of 0 accidents, we are all glad that there are rules, and that they are enforced, aren't we? It is in our own best interest.

Saying that a fence may not be 100% impenetrable, does not justify removing the fence altogether, imho.

Also remember that airside security does not only have to do with high tech terrorists, it also has to do with psychologically unstable persons, people dealing in affect, and people who mistakenly try to bring dangerous items with them.

And oh, by the way: next time you eat your steak airside to prove a point: notice how the knife's pointy egde is rounded, rather than pointed, unlike what you will find at a lot of other restaurants.

(And yes, I am a pilot and I do commute and I do have to pass security regularly, I'm not saying I'm happy with everything they are doing, but I am glad it is there!)