PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Sponsorship
Thread: BA Sponsorship
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2009, 11:29
clanger32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe what re-heat was saying - and I actually can't quite see how anyone else is failing to comprehend this, perhaps READING all of his post before getting in an indignant rage and posting a reply might help - is that in times gone by it has been considered by some that the modular courses had sub-standard texts and course materials. I.E. this is a statement of how it was perceived [by a perhaps only a subset] historically. I don't believe that this is a statement of how Re-heat perceives modular training to be right now.

In fairness to re-heat, (s)he even goes on to say that this is clearly not the case any more and anyone with their licence knows that there are some excellent modular schools out there.

However, this doesn't change the opinion of those that are of such an opinion in the first place. Which brings us back to the original point of BAs recruitment policy. Perhaps in time it will change.

One other point. Generally speaking there is some form of vetting process to get into an integrated course, whereas there is not for modular. I am NOT going to enter into whether those entry tests are worth the electricity they use - it is true to say that undoubtedly they could be more 'selective'. The point is merely that they do have some selection. The ONLY selection criteria for modular is whether you can meet the requirements for a class 1 and if you have the money to pursue it to the bitter end.

It may well be that this is another contributing factor...99.99% of all the modular students I met were absolutely brilliant people, intelligent and very talented....but there are a couple of notables who stick out. You wouldn't have to employ too many of these (like the one who on partialling his CPL at the third attempt was celebrating 'passing' it wildly, not understanding that he HADN'T) before thinking there might be another way...

I should add, given that no-one appears to be in a "read it and try and understand what the author is saying" mood, that this IS NOT to say integrated is better. It's different and offers different pro's and con's is all.
I shall now await the flaming....*sigh*....another problem of pilots...every man Jack of us thinks they have to be the alpha male in the room...