PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - infringements due to poor airspace design ?
Old 14th Mar 2009, 11:20
P.Pilcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regrettably it has always been the case that the navigational requirements placed on inexperienced pilots without instrument ratings, having to cope with simple to fly but difficult to manage aircraft as they don't have autopilots are infinitely more severe than those who have shelled out the cost of getting the rating that entitles them to fly IFR in controlled airspace. I have seen both sides of the fence having held a PPL and instructor rating for many years before getting and using my ATPL and can tell many a story from personal experience of having to cope with this sort of thing. As soon as you have that rating, life gets easy as you have a controller watching you on his radar telling you which way to go!
Regrettably, the airspace planners give little thought to non instrument rated G.A. when planning the inexorable extensions to controlled airspace to make it easier for the holiday makers to visit the costa del sol e.t.c. Of course in my day, there was no GPS which probably makes really accurate navigation easier these days, nevertheless the accuracy of navigation required in the example given above is really ridiculous. I would also query the accuracy of the radar display used to implicate a pilot in infringement proceedings if the corridor is as narrow as a mere 1nm.

P.P.