PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - West Freugh
Thread: West Freugh
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 22:35
wingcmdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah the memories (hankie out)

Well we arrived there when I was just 5 years old ....45 years ago.
Old man got a great job doing Air Mech Elec things (ex fish head)

Started primary school in Stoneykirk and biked there every day from the married quarters...snow, rain, hail, and pestilence could not stop me.

We lived in a great big house at No 1 Galloway Place right next to the old guard room....sadly now all torn down (including our old house)

Played cricket for the Sunday team aged 7 (short of blokes that day) and was on the score sheet as "out not out"....just as well as I could see bugger all over the top of my pads.

Used to love going to the Club on a Saturday and Sunday and play snooker with my Dad on one of the two snooker tables. These were the days when it was safe to take your kids to the pub and leave them with a slightly pissed armourer (family friend)

In later life (13 to 16) spent many happy hours in KG 661 doing sonar drops and throwing up. Also used to be invited up to the Tower by a very close family friend to listen and watch the aircraft (yes I have touched the mighty German binoculars)......Great days!!!!!

I used to spend all my summer holidays on top of Grey Hill over looking the Freugh watching and waiting with my cheap binoculars(best present my Dad ever got me) armed with jam sandwiches and the latest Observers book of Military Aircraft (under Buccaneer ... armament, weights and performance...restricted)
Great to watch the German F104 screaming past at low level chasing the Noord Atlas support aircraft

Spent the best times of my life there and do I miss it.......You bet I do!

Sorry to wax lyrical but if anyone has pics of my childhood playground I would love to see them.

Ah well best stop now as the memories are starting to flood back and I am tempted to call my Dad to clear up the grey areas and its late.

Oh I nearly forgot ...................No enough too many memories and tales to tell.

Thank you for your indulgence

Ex RAE Freugh brat