PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airliner destroyed landing short after holding for a Cb. 100 survivors.
Old 30th Apr 2002, 04:48
autoflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Airliner destroyed landing short after holding for a Cb. 100 survivors.

It has happened before & we are unfortunately overdue for another windshear / microburst accident.
During 12 years of contract flying with medium size airlines, some of them national carriers, indications are that there is very little or no understanding of microbursts. Many of my first officers are now captains. I did my best to prepare them for their first serious encounter, but the painful lack of understanding has not made a quantum leap with the addition of their 4th bar.
In addition to poor knowledge and understanding, some airlines are insisting that a stabilized approach includes very low altitude profile corrections to achieve 1500 ft touchdown. The pressure really is on the expat pilot to conform. In some cases correct procedure will cause reversion to job hunting mode. Which airline is this?
Insurance is no substitute for safe operation. I am so surprised that the insurance companies are not professionally assessing such matters in individual airlines to modify premiums.