PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Sponsorship
Thread: BA Sponsorship
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 13:27
corsair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seeing as I was quoted. I might as well join in. It is likely that if there ever is any cadetships again they will be along MPL lines. But I would doubt there will ever be sponsorships as such. Maybe a partial sponsorship but most likely a loan arrangement.
what's wrong with BA wanting to pre-select their future pilots from a larger pool of candidates? Flybe, cityjet etc already do it.
The answer is nothing. My comments at the time are slightly out of context on this thread and referred to a specific post which I quoted at the time. The implication of it was that of all airlines, BA only took the best pilots and were struggling to find pilots good enough to fly for them. That seemed to me to be the height of hubris as if BA pilots were some kind of elite and all the rest of us were some kind second raters not fit for a command. Particularly modular trained pilots. Whether this really their attitude is another point altogether. No one would accuse Flybe or Cityjet of this attitude and there are excellent reasons for pre selecting cadet pilots. But to imply BA is some kind of exclusive club is ridiculous.

Of course a lot of starry eyed youngsters fall for this as witnessed here. Only BA is good enough for them. As it happens this is unlikely to help them get into BA.

In any case, no one should hold their breath hoping for sponsorship from any airline into the near to medium term. They'll just have to settle for second rate training and have to work for a second rate airline like Virgin or BMI.