PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAF decoding
Thread: TAF decoding
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 12:33
cc2180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
/sigh

The notes I have says in a TAF, FM is used to show the beginning of a self-contained part in the forecast. All conditions before this group are superseded.
Yes! It is a forecast, therefore the change is immediate. You have written it yourself. It is there in your notes to see. In a metar it is how you describe, but this is a TAF.

Are all textbooks, syllabus, logic, pilots, question and answer wrong then?

Tick whatever box you want, but I have explained it exactly like it is. Believe the guy who claimed you never use FM in a metar if it pleases you. Your choice, your exam.

however my understanding of the term FM in a TAF indicates a change from that time hence as the clock strikes 1800 the worst case scenario will be 3000m vis.
And here you write it yourself Jamie, except you cant apply the logic.

You: my understanding of the term FM in a TAF indicates a change from that time

The TAF says: FM 18, 9999.

At 1759 the forecast is 3000, but from 18, the forecast becomes 9999.

You dont predict a prediction.

That is the terminology of a TAF defined by ICAO as opposed to a METAR. There is nothing to argue about.

sorry mate but i don't agree & neither do any of the other instructors at the flight school
So from 8pm to 9pm you went and asked all your instructors? Sure you did. I think they'd be embarrassed to see you claim their opinion supports yours. Which magical FTO are you at that believes this?

Last edited by cc2180; 13th Mar 2009 at 13:30.