PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MoD wants to lease more C-130J's
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 09:28
OmegaV6

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A & C

Not wishing to turn this into a personal discussion .. but I feel you are totaly out of step with reality

Perhaps it might be of value to the RAF to get a few of your planners into the ops department of a charter airline for a few months and see how the other side works,
That is the essence of the matter ... Operational flying is NOT repeat NOT a charter airline.

If I may give an old example, as I don't know the present rules, and would not wish them discussed here anyway.

When we operated in my time some of the rules were very simple....... we were only allowed "over the border" in the dark, we were not allowed more than one aircraft "on the ground" (at destination) at any time, and factors were built in to allow for ground handling problems. There were others I won't discuss. Combine these restrictions and during the summer months there were only 2-3 tasks a night ... rising to 4-5 in the winter.

So more aircraft would have achieved nothing, there are only so many hours in a night. The crews worked long hours due to the transit times from base-border.

I can't see a charter fleet operating to such restrictions.