PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MRIs and Claustrophobia
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 09:24
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC9

I have been reading this thread and am pleased that you have updated us with a happier note.

I read yesterday about a major breakthrough in cancer research which I have pasted here

A major breakthrough in cancer research could lead to the creation of 'one-size-fits-all' drugs capable of tackling almost all forms of the disease.
Scientists have unravelled the secrets of an enzyme called telomerase that makes cancer cells immortal.
This allows them to multiply uncontrollably and cause disease.
The landmark discovery paves the way for the creation of drugs that block the enzyme, stopping tumour growth.
With telomerase at work in almost all human cancers, such a drug or family of drugs could have a major impact in the treatment of the disease which affects almost 300,000 Britons a year and kills someone every four minutes.
Liz Baker, of charity Cancer Research UK, said: 'This is a crucial part of the puzzle in understanding how telomerase works.
Your wife (I wish you wouldnt refer to her as Mrs DC9 is young and who knows a few years down the line maybe cancers will not be as serious as they are today and better treatable.

Anyway very pleased for you that it has been caught early and not as bad as you initially feared.

Pace