PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus II
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 08:58
PC767

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Overstress. You typed '45%' in a previous post. You cannot substantiate that figure, but you now think '45%' will be the case. Not a sound basis to prove I am overpaid.

I'm actually not interested in Pilots salaries. That is not the issue here. I was, however, supportive of my BA colleagues in BALPA when it was believed that Openskies would lead to a reduction in Pilots terms and conditions. What you get paid is down to how well BALPA and BA handle negotiations. To some your deal may appear poor - you work for a leading premium carrier, yet you are paid market rate. To others, clearly the majority on here, you are happy with your lot. But it seems that those of you who are happy need somewhere else to vent, and it appears that your airborne colleagues should bear the brunt. A few pages ago there was an accord. It was noted that if savings were to be made, then Waterside was full of 'managers' apparently doing nothing.

Here's my view. An airline needs Pilots, Engineers, Cabin Crew, and Customer Service/Check in staff. As a collective we represent the company and we are a tool to ensure the aims of our passengers are achieved. A reasonable amount of management and administration is required to manage us.

The rest are 'nice to haves' and when the chips are down should be the first to be reviewed. Look after your front line staff - they look after your customers, nee income.

By all means review parts of agreements. Relivance falls by the ways side as time progresses but be diplomatic about it. Why not approach the unions and state that the long range diversion agreement could do with a review, rather than a blanket 'you're too expensive - we're going to change your t&cs' and rub everybody up the wrong way. Cabin crew are genuinely worried about finances. Those who have been 'overpaid' for so long have financial and lifestyle commitments around their 'overpay'. Then there are those newer crew who are entitled to working tax credits because their pay is so low. I'm glad only a handful of BA cabin crew read pprune or or I could a collapse of CRM online.