PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NVFR
Thread: NVFR
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2009, 05:23
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@TonKat, in my (recent) experience, yes; it's part of the requirements to conduct landings at an aerodrome away from 'significant lighting'. Tricks wise - basically a significant element of instrument flying (flying by reference to the instruments, rather than flying IFR), and radio nav as a primary means of navigating - intercepts etc, rather than just tracking. I also had to demonstrate (in sim), recoveries from unusual attitudes on instruments, and an ability not to kill myself on a partial panel - but no UA recoveries on partial. Lastly I was given a severe lecture on the potential to kill myself, and warned not to treat it as a ticket to rush in where angels feared to tread just 'cos I'd got a little instrument appreciation

@jportzer, I'm aware of no such limitation - nor am I aware of a requirement to have a visual horizon for day VFR (it may be a sensible thing to have, but I don't know of a requirement). If you have a reference, educate me quick!

I will add that I think it's rather worthwhile - not because I'm going to do much night flying, but because it removes the time pressure around being a bit late in the day, and for me at least, it brought a more disciplined approach vs the standard daylight bimble.

Last edited by Mark1234; 13th Mar 2009 at 05:38.