PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Steve Fossett missing - Final NTSB Report
Old 13th Mar 2009, 03:09
Tfor2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impossible to prove, but as a private pilot who's known to talk to himself in a tight situation, how's this for a scenario?
"Lovely day for flying -- Wow, I see some lakes over there, think I'll take a look-see. May want to do a water speed record if it's suitable. -- No, too small, I don't think that'll do it, but do I see another lake, a little further on? If not, maybe I could find some really flat land to break my land-speed record -- No, nothing here, I suppose I could land and look around -- Oh oh, must change my mind, it's late, and I'm way off track and people are waiting for me. -- Come to think of it, I didn't file a flight plan, but who does, these days, I didn't know where I was going anyway on such a nice day -- I'll just have to take a short cut through that range over there and straight line it home -- What, no VOR, no navigating instruments, no landmarks? Is the fuel gauge good on this aerobatic machine? Where the hell am I? Ages since I practiced instruments anyway -- Seat of the pants? This is absurd, for me. Ironic indeed -- Geeez, look at the fuel gage! Where is it? I'm nearly out, if I go down, my cell phone won't work -- Don't panic, everything will be alright -- There's a gap! Thank God, I'll go through it, bound to take me home real fast, or then I can glide. Oh for a balloon! -- SHEEEIT, it doesn't go anywhere. Is this what they mean by a Box Canyon? -- Can I make a tight turn to the left? How about to the right? -- Too late, better release my harness and hope for the best. Maybe I can get out if the landing's not too hard. Don't panic. Stay cool." C-R-A-S-H!! Curtain.