PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 13th Mar 2009, 01:28
rumline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It has been reported that the pilot turned back after declaring an emergency relating to the main gear box. The aircraft flew for a further 17sm westward towards NL before impacting the water.

My prayers to those searching...and to those waiting.

I won,t however, bide time awaiting official reports before expressing hope that a fleetwide grounding of S-92,s is in the works and that well known MGB problems associated with this type are finally dealt with.
Another issue I,ll toss out is why does the Blackhawk series have a run-dry capability yet from what I can garner from collegues ....the 92 does not....wtf???
As an offshore driver for the better part of 2 decades...I have seen great strides in training and preparation for crews and pax. Tonight many news services have been belabouring that an immersion suit will keep someone alive upto 30hrs in cold water.....maybe so.....but only if proper undergarments are worn and I,m still surprised when I see SLF about to get in my machine with zippers undone and nothing but tees and board-shorts on underneath.