PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LONDON CITY - 2
Thread: LONDON CITY - 2
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2009, 22:35
Steviec9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
davidjohnson6 - absolutely, so clearly it works! Just a bit galling because VLM are flogging their green credentials due to their exclusive use of turboprops... Using Eurostar does appeal to my 'green' nature but it just takes so much longer and you have to lug cases up/down stairs at Brussels when changing trains. It's so much easier to leave work, DLR to LCY, small airport, 20 mins wait, hop on plane, hop off plane, out of small airport in 5 mins and be eating my dinner with my family in just over 2hrs after leaving office. The Eurostar journey, though not unpleasant, is just 'clunkier' and feels more like a 'journey'.

The opening of the high speed line won't change things between Brussels and Antwerp, only north of Antwerp and across the Dutch border. Apparently it will signficantly reduce journey times to Amsterdam and the other main southern Dutch cities but Dutch Railways are making a bodge up with the new high speed trains and signalling - the line has been completed for ages but high speed services north of Antwerp are still awaited. However, the rebuilt Antwerpen Centraal station is almost as breathtaking as St Pancras!