PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 Cut obstacle clearance.
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2009, 14:10
Old Smokey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wondered why I couldn't reply J_T, it seems that we were replying together!

A Comfy Chair, you've asked a very good question, one which I've discussed with one of these forums "Normal" procedure designers. I don't think that Oz_Expat would mind my re-telling some of his wise words, mixed with those (just posted) by J_T) and a few of my own.

There are far too many variables between aircraft types to create standard "Government Issue" OESIDs. Consider, for example, that the performance requirements for 2,3, and 4 engined aircraft are markedly different. A limiting obstacle for a 2 engined aircraft may require an early turn, whereas the same obstacle may not be critical for the 4 engined aircraft with it's increased climb gradient requirement and capability. To impose the increased climb requirement on the twin would limit it's payload carrying ability.

Consider also the very wide range of speeds flown by commercial aircraft. One aircraft that I do work for has a maximum V2 of 130 Kt, another has a maximum V2 approaching 180 Kt, a massive difference in turn radius, which will require different turning points for the OEISID. Hobart 30 (which I've done work for, and referred to by J_T) is a very good example. Minimum V2 has a similar effect for the "inside" splay. Again, we would be imposing another aircraft's limits on one type for the sake of uniformity, with associated penalties.

My favourite project relating to the turn radius problem was at Petropavlosk Chamkatsky (UHPP) in Eastern Russia. The OEISID requires a LARGE radius turn to contain the procedure within a "bowl" of very high mountains, but circumnavigating a large "hump" in the middle. For the B777 at the nominal OEI 15 degrees of bank at it's much higher speeds, it was a very standard calculation. For another much slower aircraft, the same very precise turn required 9 degrees of bank, a big "ask" for the operating pilots. The solution for the slower aircraft was to create precise Lat and Long for a series of FMC/FMS waypoints, and to fly the procedure using LNAV (in a non-WGS84 country).

A further problem arises due to Takeoff Thrust Time Limitations. At a very obstacle strewn airport in the land of Oz, I spent days finding the optimum escape route to avoid the obstacles, all of which required a fairly large Acceleration Altitude. The aircraft I was working for had a 5 minute Takeoff Thrust Limit, and further calculations found that the 5 minute limit would be reached just upon achieving MAA, with no excess for acceleration. After all of the work, the only solution was to impose a much higher Gradient requirement to reach MAA sooner (greatly out-climbing the obstacles), allowing for acceleration to Vcl. If a 10 minute Takeoff Thrust Limit aircraft had the same requirement imposed, again that aircraft would pay the price for complying with another aircraft's requirements.

To cut a long story short, no, one size does not fit all. There are many airports (e.g. over water) where it could, but this would be the exception.

I've recently had an email from a client who is changeing their aircraft type to one with a totally different speed range. His enquiry was "Can we continue to use the existing OEISIDs?". My reply was "We start from scratch". He hasn't replied yet!

A damned good proposal Comfy Chair, I wish it were possible.

Regards,

Old Smokey