PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I kidding myself..?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2009, 11:51
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DB777

I would say that your mature and well-balanced attitude to changing career and the pros and cons of commercial training is one of the keys to success. It will stand you in good stead.

I'm sure you don't need telling, but making it to the airline world can be an extremely tough game, and one at which many people fail - for all sorts of reasons. I wasn't born wanting to fly, and it was always a finely balanced decision whether to carry on with training or stick to the safe, boring comfort zone which I knew so well. Several times I came close to giving up, and I'm sure you'll face similar challenges as you progress - it's perfectly normal.

All I can say is that I'm so glad I followed my heart (with my head in sometimes reluctant agreement!) and stuck with it. With a lot of commitment and not a little luck, I landed a dream job. If the dice had rolled differently, it might not have happened and I could be just another out of work 200hr CPL, with no realistic prospect of a job for several years. Would my advice be the same then? Frankly I doubt it.

What I'm trying to get across is that the ability to stand back and look objectively at your situation is very important. To understand where you are, where you want to be, how you plan to get there, and what you will do if it all goes pear-shaped. I suspect you have that ability.

Best of luck.

P.S. The novelty of O'dark hundred walkrounds in the snow quickly wears off!