PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Am I kidding myself..?
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2009, 11:07
DB777

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...if I can train to fly as well as I can write a positive spread i'll be ok

Ten West, good question; like Llen said, my current job/business is good but not my passion. From my early teens I was told i'd never fly because of a (once) bad astigmatism, 3yrs ago the caa changed the regs regarding refractive surgery. Long story short, I had it... i'm having the final surgery for that tomorrow infact!
Slowly, the motivation for what I do is being overtaken by the motivation to fly (in whatever capacity), now that I can pursue it I am feeling a new wave of excitement & energy has come over me which I haven't felt since I left college!

I don't know for certain yet if i'm going to want to follow this as a career, all I know is to keep learning until I feel content. i'm certainly ready for a career change.
By all accounts, some of the threads i've read on here really don't promote passion, and maybe i'm naive, but doing a walkaround @ 5am in a blizzard DOES actually sound appealing to me at the moment!

I like to believe the the sheer cost and time commitment of training to be a pilot filters out the individuals who pursue it for wrong or misguided reasons – who knows, I could be one of them.
I know, and people close to me know, that i need to give it a good shot – I've either got to feed or phase out this obsession!

willisp; The advice on here is golden. People can say want they want about the negativity, but at least posters are guaranteed some honest feedback from a broad range of individuals.
Not sure about other students on here, but being able to find an actual qualified or commercial pilot who wants to chat about it out of work hours is very difficult!

I've had some great feedback from this thread, and got the answer that, let's face it - I wanted! Thanks for everyones input. Good luck with your endeavors.

DB