PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)
Old 12th Mar 2009, 10:39
Mike Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)

Consultation on Transposition of EU Directive (EC/2008/101) to include Aviation in the European Union Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)

Rarely do I feel moved to start a thread but I suspect many Operators will not be aware of the impact of this legislation which may require monitoring next year followed by implementation in 2012.

Although the topic has been raised before on PPRuNe, our company (and maybe yours) has now had a letter from the Department of Energy and Climate change, Go to the following

Consultation on including aviation in the EU ETS - Department of Energy and Climate Change

and then a pdf “Letter to Consultees”

The DECC contact number is a voice mail - I assume they don’t really want to talk to you directly.
So far the e-mail address hasn’t worked -oh hum

After that you are on your own to dig into a minefield of legislation.

I don't know how this information is being distributed to Operators outside the EU?

It is something that will have a cost element to nearly all Corporate/AOC operators no matter what their registration.. There are some exclusions but not many.

So far as I can see
1) In spite of what they say it is a tax. There are some estimates what it will add to the price of airline tickets. I not found any estimates for it's impact on Corporate/AOC
2)For corporate, if you are, for example, flying direct from the US to the EU you will will be assessed on the entire leg - not just the time within Eurocontrol and of course on the return.
3) You can apply for a free allowance but this looks to be only about 5% of your total and would involve a lot of paperwork plus a Verifier to come in and check your paperwork. A simpler system may be possible by giving up the free allowance.
4)A very rough calculation for our small company jet indicates a cost of between 900 Euros and 18,000 Euros (Carbon @30Euros/Ton) a year for 400hrs depending on the value Carbon is trading at if all of this flying was within the EU.

Being old and cynical I would not expect anything from this “Consultation” but you never know. This consultation ends on the 14 May 2009 -no pressure.

There is an awful lot of information not exactly hidden but buried within various links.

I'm still working through this but the simplest thing is to just fly and pay which is what it will probably come down to!

Over to the PPRuNe experts to put my mind at rest Well 2012 at least takes me nearer to retirement!

Mike Echo