PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - V1 Cut obstacle clearance.
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2009, 10:24
A Comfy Chair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Smokey -

Thank you for your "postage stamp" reply... you must have very large postage stamps where you are!

To those here who are "in the know" (ie OS, J_T, mutt etc) do you think that leaving the preparation of this data for individual airlines should be how it is done? Or should all places that provide IFR departures also have a standard EOSID published, so that everybody (crew and ATC) are on the same page when faced with the engine failure on takeoff?

As I'm sure you are aware a lot of airlines don't really put the appropriate emphasis on preparing these contingencies (whether it be through complacency or the sheer difficulty in obtaining data and accessing currently qualified individuals able to prepare these plans) so should state aviation authorities be putting more emphasis on it?

I know it would cause headaches with different airlines favouring different methods, but it seems odd to me that something that is so critical to flight safety is so widely misunderstood by pilots and inadequately considered by airlines, and that the governing bodies don't produce their own charts.