PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Checklist use
Thread: Checklist use
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2009, 10:04
Mach E Avelli

Received 152 Likes on 102 Posts
Tee Emm I think you have misinterpreted what I was trying to say. In your cut and paste of my comment you pulled the classic media trick of being selective in what you reproduced, but I will let that go, just like I let my trainees go in the beginning. What I said was, if the checklist is done the Boeing way i.e. PNF reads and self responds and PF does not cross check and somehow the gear and flaps are NOT retracted, the world won't come to an end. Perhaps I should not have offended your professional sensibilities with the 'who cares' statement because of course I would care if someone I was training ever did it twice, but I would (and have) let it go once just to make the point.
Whereas, the pressurization IS important and should be cross checked and responded to BUT not until later, at a time of lower workload. This is not soon after takeoff when PF should keep head down on the primary instruments. The number of times I have had to rein in gung ho co-pilots who want it all done before we are even out of the traffic pattern....
Boeing cockpit is not a good design, so we need to work around its limitations. I think that's why all these years they have had this procedure of PNF doing, reading and self responding.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 12th Mar 2009 at 10:10. Reason: typo