PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RT Practical exam
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2009, 08:41
madgav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

First of all I'm not training from a controlled airfield. Newtownards is an A/G. When leaving the circuit we talk to Belfast (city airport) Approach. For general training exercises we are in uncontrolled airspace and just get a FIS (Basic?) from them. I've done a couple of nav-ex's, one solo, which require a zone transit from them on the first leg, but that's it.
I've landed twice at Belfast International (Aldergrove) airport which involved talking to Aldergrove Approach and Tower, but to be honest on the first visit the instructor handled most of the radio work. On the second visit I was still somewhat overwhelmed by the RT. My QXC, when it happens, will involve another trip to Aldergrove and then on to Enniskillen (another A/G). That will be good experience but will not be before the end of April.
There are AFAIK no AFIS and no MATZ in N.Ireland so I have no experience of those. I haven't had to do any position reports, VDF bearings or practice maydays but know roughly what is required.

make transit of Class A Controlled Airspace
Huh? Class A?

You will need also throughout the flight decide on the most appropiate service
Explain!

Your instructor or school probably have a couple of 'mock' practicals for you to experience
I'm not sure this is the case but I can ask.

Yes, I've read that too.

I've had very few problems with the confuser questions for the written exam but still not confident with regard to the practical exam. I've struggled a bit with the RT, particularly reading back long clearances - too much to remember and not enough time to write it down, especially when you're trying to fly an aeroplane at the same time As far as I can see confidence is the key here, if it takes a course or personal tuition to gain it then it's not money wasted. Of course I'd still prefer to spend the money on the flying