PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welshpool visiting??
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2002, 16:44
Daifly

What's your point tho WWW?

Cost of living for you was especially low...

I've yet to meet a Flying Instructor who didn't want an airline job, so the fact that they couldn't wait to move on is perhaps a bit of a "tabloid" headline for a general fact.

At this point, yep, there have been job losses. That's bad for everyone concerned.

But you have to remember what the aims of the Airport were when it was first built. It was there to enhance Mid-Wales' business capabilities and encourage companies to move in. In this regard I remember two ocassions when the Mid Wales Development chartered a BM Dash-7 to fly from BHX to Welshpool with potential investors - that was an entertaining day, and I still have the White Copy of the Loadsheet saying Welshpool to Birmingham as proof!! These aims were never reached because of the lack of agreement between the owner and the operator. I seem to remember that Pool refused to use the Control Tower after that was built unless they got an additional 7 year contract. Yep, it got that petty.

I don't usually disagree with you, but the comment about sniping was a little bit off. I know who you're thinking about, but the majority of the "commentators" have been entirely justified in their comments.

In the future though, I'd be surprised if this move doesn't yield more jobs for both the airport and, perhaps more importantly in an area of pretty substantial unemployment, more resultant jobs in the local economy.

And that comment about Pool developing the airport into a "thriving facility for the community" is a little bit of poetic licence surely when a vast proportion of the area's PPL holders were driving to Sleap or Shobdon. That's not a great advert is it?!?

Anyway, ho hum, as they say....