PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Manchester Air Show - Barton
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2009, 17:48
nwest

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi NWEST
I was always under the impression that the display at Woodford organised by the RAFA and sponsored by a Manchester Newspaper was the main Manchester Air Display ???? Please tell me if was just for the NW RAFA
Woodford was organised by the NW area of RAFA - and that was always the "Woodford Airshow".

The Barton shows were always called "Manchester Airshow" to differentiate them from Woodford.

The Barton show had more than its fair share of accidents with perhaps the most tragic all round being the loss of the last flying Mosquito with both of its crew on 21 July 1996 . This I think ended the Barton shows.
Not strictly true. The last big, 'proper' air show at Barton (under the Manchester Airshow name) was actually May 1994. These were followed by far smaller events (with just a handful of items) in 1995 and 1996 - the event the Mosquito crashed at was actually called "Midsummer Madness", also featured (IIRC) a Spitfire, the Crunchie Wingwalkers and a navy Sea King.

You're right though in the sense that there have been no air displays whatsoever at Barton since 21/07/1996. Only the odd fly in since. A great shame, was such a nice venue for a show.