PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEW UAE BMI Medical rules
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2009, 13:21
mini cooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If they impose BMI limitations on the management / office bods I'm sure most of the snack bars / restaurants in the EGHQ would have to close or just sell lettuce!!!

Like me anybody who has ever played rugby will most likely fall into the 'fat b*stard' category as the whole scale is based on the 'average'. I have a BMI of 28-29 depending how tall they think I am!!! You can't win, the fitter you are the more muscle you carry and muscle weighs more than fat hence BMI goes up!!!!

Having said that I was told by one of the EK docs last year that they are more concerned that your weight is stable ie not increasing year on year, also they don't want you to have a big 'gut' as that has been proved apparently to put extra stress on the heart. I have seen a number of people at the EGHQ both pilots and office workers (not forgetting the immigration boys AND GIRLS sat on their considerable bottoms) who should be concerned.

If you want to join EK however and you are stout, plump, rounded at the edges and you haven't seen you bits in years (except in a mirror) then don't expect an easy time at the joining medical.

Typical scenario: join skinny, party a lot, meet someone, get married, forget about where the gym is, get fat, spend rest of life trying to lose weight to please the doc!!!