PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SQ006 final report out 26/4/02
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2002, 14:46
gengis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is no denying that the crew was aware of the NOTAMed closure of 05R. There is also no denying that they suffered a loss of SA which eventually led to that wrong turn while still believing they were on 05L as cleared. No one - not even SIA or the Singapore government - denies this.

However, as has been pointed out by many before me, the events that have contributed to this loss of SA need to be identified and given their due weight in the matter. My personal take on this is that since the Taiwanese had intended to continue using 05R as a taxiway despite the runway closure, the NOTAM should more correctly have been worded something to the effect of "Runway 05R not operational but still available for taxiing. Runway edge and centreline lights remain illuminated." That would have at least alerted the crew to a potential catch-22 of an unservicable runway appearing still open. I don't know about any of you, but as for me, when I read that a runway is closed, that is what I expect : total closure, including de-activation of the lights. You may not agree with me on this, but if a NOTAM indicates a runway is closed without specifying further that things like the lights are gonna be left ON, then when you taxi out there, the very fact that you see some runway lights WILL ACTUALLY RE-INFORCE your belief that you are now on the correct runway and CONTRIBUTE TO LOSS OF SA - especially so in conditions of marginal/reduced viz. That 05R was a non-instrument runway while 05L WAS an instrument runway does certainly provide clues to the crew, but only if they can see the runway all the way down. The viz that night was 400-600 mtr in driving rain - unlikely to have revealed the 05L barrettes at all.

There is no doubt to me that the crew goofed big time, but as others have pointed out, there does seem to be many other links in this error chain that have gone un-noticed or swept under the carpet. It would be a shame if it takes another crash involving Taiwanese before it is recognised that attitudes all round really need to change.

Last edited by gengis; 29th Apr 2002 at 14:51.