PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2009, 11:18
cazatou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spheroid

If you read the Comments of the Stn Cdr Odiham in the BOI you will note that he found that Flt Lt Tapper as Captain had a "Duty of Care " in respect of his Passengers and that Flt Lt Tapper had failed in that Duty. My copy of Chambers Dictionary defines "Negligence" as "omission of duty, especially such care for the interests of others as the law may require."

SFFP

Troops were first deployed in support of the Civil Power in NI on 14 August 1969 - I know that because I was the person who received the message that the request had been made and passed it to Mr Callaghan; the then Home Secretary. My first task to Aldergrove was 30 Sep - 2 Oct 1969 to take the then CAS to see his Son, an Officer in the Life Guards, who had been severely wounded by a negligent discharge fom the rifle of one of his Troopers. My 329th (and final) task to Aldergrove was on 23 Feb 1995 - not once did we fail to get in flight meals and other rations delivered to the aircraft when requested.

In flight meals are supplied to augment or replace meals supplied on the ground. Not one piece of testimony to the BOI involved the crew eating meals prior to the departure (or requesting in flight meals) and they had another 4 or 5 hrs duty ahead of them - or more (depending on refuelling time at Kinloss, which in my experience could take 2 hrs or more).

PS If Flt Lt T had taken Breakfast then both Pilots could have gone to the Met Office together for Met Briefing.

PPS The Stn Cdr Odiham found negligence, AOC 1Gp found negligence, AOC in C found negligence, CAS reviewed the whole before publication and did not find any reason to disagree with the findings.