PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Guernsey take off charge
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2009, 09:53
martello

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guernsey take off charge

Ah now the non logic is mroe understandable. Perhaps if you'd started a thread on how UK local/central ov't and agencies are world genii in raising charges you might have a lot of support. (Morrisey the grumpy singer was on a tv interview recently and laconically complained about charges here in uk.. The interviewer took the cliche'd line and asked if like other pop stars he was a tax exile..He rounded on said interviewer and complained that UK was alone in world charging even for dustbin bags - he also implied most people were sheep and didn't notice or care)

However my point is that a take off charge by itself does not constitue a stealth charge. A handling fee is much more of a sneak charge for nothing as most light aircrafgt pilots handle themselves.
Finally you'd have a better chance to argue that a take off charge is a stealth price rise if you'd had an example from an airfield charging already £25 landing which added anothr £10 for take off.- so Guernsey wa a bad target
My final point is that though I agree with Morrisey - we have highest stealth charges inteh world - airport charges apart from handling - are not really such a conspiracy. It's all a matter of supply and demand as airports disaappear charges go up
I recall in my sailing days there was a revolution incharging for marinas in the early eightes. Prior to that like pilots today everyone moaned abou £500 for a30ft boat per year - A particular marina group quadruled charges overnight everyone else followed suit and £500 became £2000 now nearer £3k-$4k in Solent. whereas in France of course its still just a few groats - All the campaigns and magazine articles made no difference - it's supply and demand and a non interventionist politics, I'm afraid. My gut instinct tells me the same is likely to happen to airport fees here so enjoy £10 or even £20 fees while you can