PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Southwest
Thread: Air Southwest
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2009, 09:42
ChalfontFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New LCY route / alternatives for ASW?

Can't argue with the ASW publicity (at least in theory!) that their new London service to LCY will be quicker than using the train. I calculate it will save at least 1 hour+ & to business people who just want to do a day trip then that will certainly mean a lot. Plus at only £29 each way (just excluding credit & debit card charges & with no other "extras" to pay) in the current economic climate it's a very good deal! I wonder though how long they will be able to keep it this low given that LCY has relatively high landing fees - does anyone know if LCY are finacially supporting this new route in anyway?

Also, whilst this route maybe of advantage to those living / needing to travel to destinations closer to LCY (compared to those nearer to LGW &/ or STN), is the route really a good move given that their services from both NQY & PLY to/from LGW are (according to the CAA stats for Oct-Dec '08) in double digit decline (& this is before the FlyBe competition ex NQY started)? Will this not just further divide a shrinking cake?

Although they already fly domestically to most major conurbations, I would suggest that there are still other alternatives for ASW from the South-West. Certainly the West Midlands still takes over 3 hours by both train & car (almost 4 hours in fact if you are going to the NEC), so a route to BHX perhaps should have been considered ahead of LCY. It would certainly be attractive to both business & leisure travellers!