PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Raf Ops O Post
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2002, 13:39
MilOps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Currently your BA duties pretty much mirror exactly those of an SAC working in Stn Ops on an RAF unit. At SNCO level, which by the way takes on average 15 years to achieve in todays modern RAF, you are performing broadly similar duties as your JO commissioned bretheren. However due to the way the system works, the final decision, will always come from an officer, even if he has to refer back to his SNCO for expert advice and reassurance.

As an OpsO you will be heavily involved in paper work and secondary duties, something that is a prerequisite for a successful career I'm afraid. Whether you like it or not what you do in your spare time is directly related to your success in the service. Notwithstanding FOMere2's comments, most JO's are expected to show initiative and seek out some extra curricular activity pretty much on arrival. Demonstrates character and capacity. If you don't one will be chosen for you! He is however spot on with the rest of his advice. Don't expect an exciting or challenging life as an OpsO, but if you are academically qualified I would recommend the Commissioned route every time. Life style, pay and pension are better.

Maybe you can give me some advice. I am soon to come out at the other end and am looking at careers in civil aviation. As an ex SNCO where would I reasonably expect to slot in. I intend to take the FAA Dispatch licence and the ICAO FOO licence. Any good? Also what's the pay and conditions like, etc etc.