PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Indian Pilot fined for Shop Theft in Singapore
Old 11th Mar 2009, 08:22
rdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
320P

This has nothing to do about nationalism, or targetting a country. There is an inherent problem in India. Sure, manuals go missing too in airlines from other countries, but the sheer rate of this occurance, shoplifting etc, is second to none. I have personally seen cabin crew members steal perfumes/booze in AI/IA right in front of my nose as though it is a norm. There is an airline who 2weeks ago issued its pilots with personal reflective vests for the walk around, unable to stem the tide of stealing.

The problem lies with effective penalties. No thief should be allowed to fly an airplane, period. There is a widespread reluctance in India to punish criminals. This sends the wrong message to the people, especially the law abiding ones, and results in a breakdown of the civil code.

I will digress a bit from the topic and give you another example of things being done horribly wrong. There is a senior commander who failed his upgrade twice, and has been in the training pool for close to 2 years. This guy pulled his contacts in the DGCA and got them to demand that he be given a third shot. If an unsafe pilot is allowed to go on till he passes, what about a thief ?? Makes him look like an angel.

There are exellent pilots and great individuals in the country, but they are unfortunately, pushed aside by a lack of governance.