PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai / UAE
Thread: Dubai / UAE
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2009, 07:33
Thridle Op Des

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May I venture a query as to the reason for high holding at DESDI? I have had two experiences now, firstly 4 years ago just after the BAH F1 Grand Prix, we were cleared into DESDI hold at FL280 and then given a descent clearance to Alt 10,000 on the first outbound leg. Last week we were cleared into DESDI hold at FL390 with a descent to FL330 about 5 miles out from the hold. Subsequently cleared to FL250 and lower with several radio encouragements to increase our ROD, admittedly a large CB was affecting the controllers scope to manoeuver. I also know from reading these pages that there are several factors outside the ATCO's control which limit tactical controlling and it appears that the situation will not improve soon, but I would genuinely be interested in some feedback for these profiles. We did out best to limit our speed, but we cannot put flap out in the 330 until 20,000' and at a TAS of 420 KIAS we cover a huge amount of territory, I was concerned at one stage that we would set off the Iranians on 'guard'.

Best Regards

TOD