PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NEW UAE BMI Medical rules
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2009, 04:57
Escape Velocity

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there more to calculating the BMI? I ask because I checked mine based on the formula shown above and came to a figure that, based again on above, I probably should not even have been issued a medical, and probably should have been referred to a casket salesman!

My figures (forgive the inches/pounds, some of us still use real measurements!):

195 lbs./2.2046=88.45kg
70"*.0254=1.778m

My BMI is . . . . . 49.75

Further, if I reverse the calculation to see just how much weight I must lose to rid myself of what can only be classified as gross obesity, and keeping in mind that I am no longer a spring chicken of 20 - 29, but using this as a basis, here goes:

1.778m*(85th percentile)27.8BMI=49.43kg, or 108.9 lbs!! Are they f*ing insane? Or do I need to retake college algebra?

By the way, I do meet the waistline requirements by a large margin - 86cm - have a 60 bpm heart rate, 110/70 bp, and still exercise regularly. I am actually 10 lbs lighter than my college football playing weight (although some things have shifted a little!), I can't leap tall buildings in a single bound, can't stop speeding locomotives, and I'm just not well equipped enough to apply for a position in the adult film industry. I blame that on heredity; diet and exercise don't seem to help there. Flying airplanes seems to be what I am suited for. I seriously doubt that I could do any of the above if I weighed 110 pounds!

So is there more to this, or has the local medical community lost their collective minds?

By the way, my most recent AME was 2 inches shorter than me and outweighed me by at least 40 pounds. I wonder what his BMI is??