PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is ASIC killing off GA PPL?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2009, 01:50
flysaucer1200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
medical costs tad more ( class one though )

king_daniels, Nice work,

An initial issue medical cost me more than 200$.
Here is the details-

Some place on Ipswich Rd, Brisbane
Aviation Medical Original- $270
ECG- $45
Hear Tst $37
Gst- $27
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total- $ 379

Again close to Ipswich Rd, Brisbane

Eye Test $176 ( I guess inc GST )

Again somewhere close to Ipswich Rd, Brisbane

Blood test- $60
( not sure as no one knows cost, but company ( OML Pathology ) on the phone thinks about whats stated, and the nurse taking the blood thinks more than what is stated, and the accounts department thinks, but not sure, thinks less than what is stated, even though its been done and the bill is on the way to my house

CASA Fee- $70
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total $ 685
( Convert that to NZ and its $890NZ )

That’s to gain a class one medical. Not a class 2 or 3. But, if the 18 year old was serious about flying and suggested this to the CFI, Instructors, Career advisor, other pilot, Internet, would all recommend getting a Class 1, so as not to be disappointed later on when.. etc etc..

The books etc inc- ERSA, AIP Vol. 1, charts etc come to around 1100$ to get started( inc amend., and again they would all probably recommended, and therefore the 18 year old could possible be obliged to buy them all very early on.