PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How Do I Pay For Atpl!
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2009, 19:42
PAPI-74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dan,

Don't even think about it until the market has improved for a good while. Once the airlines start recruiting, wait a bit more for the holding pools to drain, then start your training. The airlines will not pay for the type rating (don't start me off there) generally, so not only will you have to pay for the training plus digs 55-85k, you will either have to instruct (6.5k but you may get pid 20k to do 50k worth of flying), be very lucky or have to pay for a 23k type rating.

Leave it a bit and absorb the amount of money and pressure that is facing you.
If you fail to get a job, which is likely, how will you service the loan and keep your flying current. Getting 200hrs and a frozen ATPL is the easy bit. Lots of guys never find work and give up. Once the IR lapses, you will have to find more money.
I had a PPL for 10 years before I made the jump and not including the 180hrs I had, the spend was 65k with the instructors rating and digs. I have been airline flying for 2 years and cannot even think of paying it off yet, just covering the interest every month.
CTC is your best bet and if you don't get it, try again and again and again. If it takes you 6 years to get there, no great shakes. It will just be that much sweeter.
There is not much point doing your ppl now, as it will cost you 8.5k and then keep it current. Unless you want to take your time and go modular as I did.
Earn as much as you can and put it away. The ppl will drain this....
High interest savings accounts | ISAs | Investments ? moneysupermarket.com
Money Saving Expert: Consumer Revenge - Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more
Don't listen to the schools as MOST - not all - just want your money, and will paint a rosey picture of the industry, trapping you into a course with very little chance of a job.