PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand Flying vs Automatics ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2009, 16:52
Nice flaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R737

Fair play to you, I may have been a tad harsh. Too many earlies = Mr Grumpy today...

Some of your posts just smacked slightly of someone who hasn't reached the "I've just realised how much I don't yet know" point. From my experience, a lot of people's confidence seems to grow disproportionately in the early stages of their career and then usually they reach a point (1000-3000 hours, depending on their personality and ability) where their awareness suddenly increases and their cocksureness softens a bit. After that point we tend to worry more and more about things and collect grey hairs for fun!

Regards the 150 comment, I just meant that the nose doesn't have to be
pointing high above the horizon during that turn with a noticable sideslip
for it to be unacceptable in an airline environment (not commenting on this video).

I fully agree with you, though, that there should not be an over-reliance on automatics. Hand flying skills should be just as valued now as they have ever been. I think this thread relates more to acceptable stable approach criteria and safety culture, however, than manual v automatics.
If people put themselves in a position where they need to fly like a god to land the aircraft then they have effectively removed their safety margin. Personally I quite like a safety margin, because I'm human..