PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Replacing Cessna seatbelts - GA
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2009, 16:05
camlobe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restart vs Legacy models

The 10 year life statement from Cessna is definately in the MM for the 'new-build' 172R/S models. Don't know if it is in the MM for the Legacy models, as we don't look after any old 'un's. However, nutloose can't find it so maybe it only affects the Restart models. Anyone else here got access to up-to-date Legacy Maintenance Manuals? Is papa oscar about to get ripped off?

Just had to replace a set in one of our locally based 'S' models. The CAA wouldn't budge as the manufacturer (albeit of the airframe) gives a life of 10 years. The second 'S' is coming in in a couple of weeks, and it is also 10 years old. The full set of belts from Cessna is F***ing expensive, and as far as Cessna is concerned, it doesn't matter if they have never been used. After 10 years they are required to be replaced. 5-11-00 Component Time Limits refers.

NOTE: This limitation only refers to Cessna-supplied units. Refer to my comment on BAS units below.

The CAA are unwilling to use any descretion, issue an exemption or make any decision, thereby ensuring they will not be in a potentially exposed position (i.e. they will not permit any form of common sense to attract perceived American-style litigation).

Therefore, once again, the 'just-in-case' mentality makes light aircraft ownership and operation unnecessarily, and prohibitally, expensive.

Digressing slightly, I quote from EASA themselves (NPA 2008-07 refers):

"On the available evidence, the heavier regulation of the regulated sector does not appear to have resulted in any safety benefit".

There is a firm in the US who market an STC for four-point harness' for Cessna's. IIRC, they are BAS (Google is your friend) It may well be cheaper to get one of their kits and have it installed. And, no, it shouldn't be an EASA Major Mod through an horrifically expensive Part 21 design organisation as BAS belts have been fitted to numerous G reg Cessna's over the years. Hence, EASA Minor Mod only due to precedence.

Hope the above is of some help.

camlobe