PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand Flying vs Automatics ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2009, 12:24
Reluctant737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice Flaps,

I appreciate where you're coming from - and yes, I only have just under 800 hours on the 737, but my TT is now touching on 2,000 hours. Since the age of 12 I've been submerged in the world of general aviation, and as such have built up a sound appreciation for my career prior to entering into the jet world.

There was a lot of stir at my FTO for entering onto an integrated course with so many hours, but it felt like the right decision at the time considering where I wanted to be.

I am not over confident - I am very aware of my own limitations, but remember that 50% of my opinions on here are self formed, the other 50% are what I have learnt off others in the past 8 years being in and around aeroplanes.

Don't judge a can of beans purely on what it says on the front of the tin

p.s. No, it aint a 150, but it's still an aeroplane, operating on the same principles of physics. People rely far too much on automation, and my 800 hours thus far has seen some tiddler microbursts, plus a nasty shock flying into a reciprocal jetstream at 130 kts (nothing about that on the SWC, cheers met man). And I'll always defend we get to utilise our skills moreso than perhaps other airlines, as we route into some previously unexplored 'strips' (I hesitate to call them runways, as far as my 737 goes). Believe you me, I am a confident hands on pilot - I've put a PA28 into Lundy if that says anything!? With no damage or loss of life! Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming to be any Chuck Yeagar or Amy Johnsson, but I understand my limits and operate within them. Going back to Lundy, it took three approaches before I decided it was safe to land. If I had been overconfident, as you put it, I'd have flown the thing into the ground the first time, probably wrecked the aeroplane on the brick wall running across the field and sent the resultant debris into the sea...

I don't gamble with other peoples' lives.

Last edited by Reluctant737; 10th Mar 2009 at 12:43.