PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand Flying vs Automatics ?
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2009, 09:53
rmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't speak for you heavy metal folks, but only as a light twin driver who has found himself on occasion squeezing in to an awkward field. Like landing to the north at my old home field Seletar in Singapore, where due to a very small zone squeezed in by the military airfield next door, a very close downwind at 1500' was followed by a constantly descending turn to the threshold at 35', I could often find myself with a high angle of bank, adding in a bit more power to help her round the corner, as a result rolling out a bit high then coming off the power to let her sink a bit faster towards the threshold in a constant attitude and then adding back a bit to cushion the descent just before flare, with the benefit that pistons and props give almost instant reaction to power changes.

As I do not fly 737, I cannot judge if there was a similar effect in action here possibly leading to the auto callouts ? while all was very well under control.

I did read somewhere, however, that passengers feel bank angles and pitch changes to be far in excess of what they are in reality with the caution that one should be careful to minimise that effect with pax on board.

My reason for posting this was due to the amount of posts I have read related to stabilised approaches, hand and auto flying to tight limits etc etc and perhaps someone could offer a factual comparison, with numbers, as to how this approach stacks up against the average stabilised approach criterea ?