PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Committed XP Pro user needs reassurance about Vista
Old 10th Mar 2009, 08:54
BladePilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
agentprovocateur
Glad to be of any help.
I have the ATI 512MB HD 4850 Graphics Card onboard and it sure does seem to be pretty special.
I have a 750GB internal hard drive, I was tempted to go bigger but I also use an external 500GB SeaGate E-SATA which is so fast it seems as if it is an internal drive I use this for my backups I have it set to auto backup so I don't even notice it working. I had one or two problems with the SeaGate but a while tinkering about seems to have got it to behave properly they do run very very hot though as they don't have an internal cooling fan only a heat sink which becomes so hot you can't touch it without causing yourself pain! The only other issue with the SeaGate is that I can't network it the way I'd like to so I'm thinking of buying another 1TB external storage device which I can connect to the last remaining port on my router to enable easy access from any of my networked PC's.
Never been tempted to go for online storage simply for the fact that your personal info/data is stored on someone elses system and you have no 'real' control over that system/facility and despite the assurances you'll get from such a service provider would you really feel that your personal stuff is safe? Sure if the Banks can lose your money a Data Storage facility could lose your personal stuff?
I run a small web business and that is hosted on a system in a very secure modern facility about 25 miles from me (which I have been able to visit and see for myself, very impressive) but I do sometimes have access issues, an example; last summer the facilities cooling system suffered a failure and the facility began a phased shutdown it took them 2 days to fully recover and my wee business suffered, I've also suffered a couple of 'upgrades where they have moved my business site to new servers but forgotten a couple of bits (links or files) all quickly rectified but it sure can be frustrating. That said it would be a pain to host my site myself but I've always had it in my head that's what I'd like to do at some point but then that'll involve another shed load of money!